Showing posts with label options. Show all posts
Showing posts with label options. Show all posts

February 21, 2012

Cheltenham Festival News: Pipe weighs up Grands Crus options

Latest News RSS / / 21 February 2012 / Leave a Comment

Will it be the RSA Chase of the Gold Cup for Grands Crus?

Will it be the RSA Chase of the Gold Cup for Grands Crus?

"It's not that we're not telling people - we're keeping our options open - and if anyone wants to back him, they should back him 'with a run' for either race."

David Pipe continues to give very little away about the likely Cheltenham Festival target for the dashing grey Grands Crus...

The trainer continues to weigh up the options of the novice either sticking to his own experience division in the RSA Chase, or to go for the ultimate shot at glory in the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Pipe played his best poker face when he was questioned more deeply at a media open morning on Tuesday and maintains he will continue to monitor the situation.

"We will decide nearer the time," he said.

"We have to see what's in the races and look at ground conditions and everything else.

"Horses do miss Cheltenham for various reasons, not that we want that to happen, and that will make an impact on which race he runs in.

"I'm just keeping an open mind and we'll all sit down and have a chat. I'm sure a decision won't be made until seven to 10 days before the race, and we've still got until the five-day declaration stage.

"It's not that we're not telling people - we're keeping our options open - and if anyone wants to back him, they should back him 'with a run' for either race."

Grands Crus shook up the incredible Big Buck's in the last World Hurdle, when running to a Timeform rating of 171, and his progress has continued unabated over fences with three consecutive wins at Cheltenham, Newbury and in the Feltham Novices' Chase at Kempton - Grands Crus has a Timeform rating of 157p over fences.

And Pipe says any decision will not be affected by the death of Gloria Victis, an immensely promising novice of his father Martin's, who died when pitched straight into the 2000 Gold Cup.

"I remember Gloria Victis, and it was a sad day as he was a very talented horse," he went on.

"But you have to treat every horse as an individual and make a decision on that."

But on the flip-side, he added: "Is Grands Crus going to be fit and well next year? Is he going to be sound? There are pros and cons and we'll decide nearer the time."

He went on: "We have to decide if he's ready for it and look at the opposition. Those are two things.

"Can he travel at the pace of the Gold Cup? I would say yes.

"Can he jump at the pace of the Gold Cup? I'd say that's the only issue.

"He has jumped well and was impressive at Kempton. That's what we're looking into."

Grands Crus is the [3.3] favourite for the RSA Chase and [14.0] for the Gold Cup.


Raya Star will be given an entry in the Coral Cup as well as the Country Hurdle at Cheltenham after his fine run at Newbury......

Owner Raymond Mould has moved to quash any speculation that his brilliant novice Sprinter Sacre could be supplemented for the Queen Mother Champion Chase at Cheltenham......

Jockey Barry Geraghty believes Sprinter Sacre's flamboyance makes him an entirely different proposition to the legendary Moscow Flyer......


Amazon Sports Center

October 5, 2011

Breeders' Cup: Danedream has Churchill Downs options

Breeders’ Cup News RSS / Timeform / 05 October 2011 / Leave a Comment

Danedream could now go to the Breeders' Cup

Danedream could now go to the Breeders' Cup

Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe winner Danedream could make her next appearance at the Breeders' Cup at Churchill Downs in November...

Peter Schiergen's three-year-old was most impressive when running out a five-length winner of Europe's Premier middle-distance event at Longchamp on Sunday, running to a Timeform rating of 132.

She has now been supplemented for the Breeders' Cup and has the option of the Filly & Mare Turf, where she could face the likes of Midday (124) and Stacelita (121), while she also has the option of lining up against the colts once more in the Breeders' Cup Turf over a mile and a half.

Should a trip to America be thought to come too soon, she could instead head for the Japan Cup, homeland of her new part-owner Teruya Yoshida.

"She could go for the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare, for which I think we paid 25,000, or we could switch her to the Turf. The Filly & Mare is the easy option anyway," Schiergen told Paris-Turf.

"However, as she was been sold in part to Mr Yoshida, the Japan Cup is now also an option.

"She would not be able to run in both, we would have to have to make a decision but as yet nothing as been decided. She will tell us where to go.

"She has come out of the race fine and eaten up but was understandably tired."

Kieran Packman files his final update from the Breeder's Cup 2010 at Churchill Downs....

Kentucky-bred Blame upsets the odds in front of 80,000 at Churchill Downs as Zenyatta bows out in defeat......

The Breeders' Cup 2010 comes to an end with the Classic, where Zenyatta is bidding to keep her unbeaten record intact and register her third straight win at the meeting. Get your guide to her opposition here....


Betfair website